Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
FORT LUPTON POLICE DEPARTMENT
130 McKinley Avenue, Fort Lupton, Colorado 80621
303-857-4011 Fax 303-857-2703
On 08/02/2017, the Fort Lupton Police Department responded to reports that a dog had been bitten by a skunk. Officers were able to locate the skunk who was acting abnormally for the time of the day. The skunk was put down by officers after consultation with the Weld County Department of Public Health and Environment.
On 08/04/2017, the Fort Lupton Police Department was advised by the Weld County Department of Public Health and Environment that test results show the skunk was positive for rabies.
There have been 9 other animals infected with rabies this year in Weld County and 16 in surrounding counties.
With the recent confirmed case here in Fort Lupton, it is important to take the following precautions to protect yourself and your family.
· Report any sick or strange acting wildlife
· Vaccinate pets and livestock
· Do not feed wildlife or stray animals and discourage them from seeking food near your home
· Do not approach any animals that are acting in a strange or unusual manner
· Keep garbage cans tightly covered and avoid storing any food outside
· Report all animal bites
· Children should be instructed to tell an adult immediately if they were bitten or scratched by any animal.
In case of an emergency please call 9-1-1. Weld County Communication Center can be reached at 720-652-4222. Fort Lupton Animal Control can be reached at 303-857-4011.