Building Applications, Fees & Guides

  1. Applications & Forms
  2. Fees
  3. Guides

Building Permit Applications

To apply for a building permit online please follow the instructions here.  This will take you to ProCode's website.  Please note, before applying for a building permit, you must register as a contractor ("Register as Contractor") or homeowner ("Register as Public") first.  Tutorial videos detailing the registration process can be found here.

For a list of items that require building permits, see the list below.

Other Applications

Home Occupation Application (PDF)

A-Frame Sign Permit (PDF)

Fence Permit Application (PDF)

Burn Permit Application (PDF)

Items that Require Building Permits 

This list is not intended to be all-inclusive. Contact the Building Department prior to the start of your project to confirm if building permits are required.

  • Addition
  • Air Conditioner
  • Basement Finish 
  • Concrete flatwork inside property lines
  • Cover existing porches/decks/patios of any heights
  • Deck/Patio/Balcony/Pergola
  • Demolition (if on footings). Asbestos Certificate from the state may be needed.
  • Detached/Attached Garage and/or Carport (fabric canopies not permitted) 
  • Fences
  • Fireplaces & Wood Pellet Stoves
  • Furnace
  • Interior remodels/tenant finish 
  • Minor electrical repairs
  • Outside gas fireplaces
  • Porch railing (depends on the height of the existing porch)
  • Roofing
  • Sheds (if less than 150 sq./ft. it is considered a shed)
  • Siding/stucco
  • Signs (both temporary and permanent require permits; some signs are exempted - see the Code or contact the Building Department for information)
  • Steps/ramps (concrete or other)
  • Water heater
  • Windows (only if the size and/or shape is changing)
Items that do not Require Building Permits:
  • Demolition (if structure not on footing; an Asbestos Certificate from the State may be needed)
  • Fence repair (if you are repairing/replacing less than 50% of an existing fence)
  • Landscaping (watch for sight triangle)
  • New cabinets
  • Painting interior/exterior
  • Retaining walls if less than 4' tall (call for locates and contact Public Works prior to digging)
  • Sprinkler repairs